It is a wrestle between first- and second-affirm groups in Concacaf qualifiers
A principal test looms for the usa males’s national crew in World Cup qualifying with a talk to to Canada in Hamilton on Sunday. Both groups are coming off important wins on Thursday that has assign them on the level of qualification for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The American citizens purchased by El Salvador 1-0 thanks to an Antonee Robinson purpose, whereas Canada obtained at Honduras, 2-0, with an hold purpose and Jonathan David providing the help.
Kickoff on Sunday is determined for 3: 05 p.m. ET and coverage begins at 1: 30 p.m. ET on Paramount+ with Kate Abdo anchoring the pre-match display veil alongside analysts Clint Dempsey, Oguchi Onyewu and Charlie Davies. On-residing in Canada, Andres Cordero and Maurice Edu would perchance be on the resolution alongside Kaylyn Kyle and Jenny Chiu, who would perchance be on the sidelines.
This would possibly be the fifth assembly between the 2 countries since 2019. Canada obtained the first assembly in 2019, 2-0, within the Concacaf Worldwide locations League. The U.S. obtained the following two forward of their September 2021 World Cup qualifier that resulted in a 1-1 contrivance.
Here is our storylines, the plot that you would possibly seemingly explore the match and more:
explore and odds
Date: Sunday, Jan. 30 | Time: 3: 05 p.m. ET
Predicament: Tim Hortons Field — Hamilton, Canada
TV and stay proceed: Paramount+
Odds: Canada +170; Plan +195; USA +155 (by Caesars Sportsbook)
Canada: No Alphonso Davies as he’s aloof going thru minor heart complications, but the the leisure of this Canada crew is slightly gifted. For a side that had 2026 aspirations as World Cup co-hosts, it appears to be like as if the Canadians are heading to Qatar 2022 barring a beautiful crumple. This crew would possibly well perchance moreover unbiased no longer provide grand defensively, but in assault they’ve purchased established gamers who can give this U.S. pains. Seek info from Tajon Buchanan to be the level of interest down the soar to in discovering as they peep to make upon their nine-sport unbeaten slip.
USMNT: After no longer taking half in in any appreciate within the purchase over El Salvador, the expectation is for Ricardo Pepi to launch and play most of this match. The American citizens surely struggled on the striker residing final day out with Jesus Ferreira having an off evening. In the period in-between, both Weston McKennie and Sergino Dest pulled up lame against La Selecta, so all eyes would perchance be on whether they play. In the occasion that they are able to not tear, ask of Kellyn Acosta to play for McKennie and seemingly Reggie Cannon for Dest.
Areas of enchancment
The U.S. lineup is anticipated to characteristic some main adjustments for this sport because of the the failure to position El Salvador away in a match that haven’t got been shut. Lots will depend on who’s on hand and match, but listed below are three areas the set some adjustments are wanted against Canada:
- Pepi has to launch. Ferreira appears to be like low on self assurance and Pepi is the crew’s reference level on the No. 9 residing. Having him unusual for this sport seemingly capability he’ll get the nod, but how assured will he be? Pepi essentially is within the center of a scoring drought of over three months. His final purpose, for club or country, came on Oct. 7 within the usa’s 2-0 purchase over Jamaica.
- Christian Pulisic must be faster. The Chelsea man was once taken off within the second half of against La Selecta after what was once an underwhelming display veil. Certain, he did handle to position in a pair unhealthy balls, but his resolution making plot midfield was once a danger for about a reasons. His positioning wasn’t excessive enough and that averted him from being in right positions when wanted. Secondly, as he approached the closing third, he was once normally hesitant within the set to switch the ball, failing to capitalize on El Salvador’s serve line taking a stare to transition to protection.
- Yunus Musah needs to push elevated up. The Valencia man brings masses of pleasure within the center, but he moreover needs to get aggressive with his positioning. Here is the usa — the recent kings of Concacaf — and so that they must impose their will. Musah can ruin lines with his passing and his dribbling but most effective threatened one time against El Salvador as he was once sitting some distance too deep. Tyler Adams can duvet the total defensive midfield, so Gregg Berhalter must put Musah a more developed residing.
- The final time the U.S. obtained at Canada was once a 3-0 purchase in qualifying serve in 1997.
- Since March of 1997, they’ve performed a total of 15 times, but Canada have managed honest five targets.
- Canada striker Jonathan David has change into a principal person at French club Lille, the set he performs with USA’s Tim Weah. David was once essentially born within the usa to Haitian oldsters. He moved to Haiti rapidly after being born forward of transferring to Canada on the age of six.
- Canada are essentially top-of-the-line undefeated crew in Concacaf at this level of qualifying with a 5-4-0 file.
Jonathan David cancels out USA’s opener with a aesthetic strike behind as each crew takes a degree. Steal: Canada 1, USMNT 1